Friday, November 21, 2008

Remnants

Die hard movie buffs would find it sacrilegious to hear me talking about the soporific power of movies. :p I do enjoy watching historical movies and a few thought provoking ones. I guess I'm more into music that way. I'm sure you'd all know. :D

I thought of writing this post about movie scenes that I've found unquestionably beautiful. I've always been touched by the scene from The Village where the feared creatures attack in the midst of a wedding. The lead lady, being blind, is unsure of where to go. Without saying a word, Joaquin Phoenix comes up and takes her hand, to lead her away from the clamor to safety. Her fear and uncertainty dissolve into confidence. Even though the two were not romantically involved, the affection was evident. As was his wish to protect her from danger and her unbinding faith in him. It seemed to me like the epitome of love and care.

One of my favorite movies, Lion King; I've found the part where Mufasa dies heart wrenching. He was projected as the invincible good king, deeply loved and revered by his subjects. Yet he dies trying to save his little son from danger. That is when the soft and vulnerable side of him is exposed. Even a great, god like figure must possess some weakness, some eventuality he fears, some one he loves. The mighty yet tender hand of the father. He who cares not for his own life, willingly throwing himself amongst the herd of rampaging bulls. As he would in a war to kill and to protect. Strangely, his face speaks of fear and death, that of his son, rather than courage and immortality.

There are many more I would like to write about but I need to sleep now ;) so it's going to be my next post.

Back again.

Deviating slightly from the topic, I just finished reading Anthem by Ayn Rand. What fascinated me about the book was the amazing simplicity, acidic bluntness and thoughtfulness with which she brings out a clear cut fact of life. I am the most important person in this world. The concept of "we" is just an illusion meant to appease the weak and insecure. It just is not possible for one to live his life by being entirely dependent on his fellow mates for happiness. Because there is no surety that people will stay around you forever. So what will you do once they leave. How will you break the attachment you had. People and possessions are only fleeting. They come and they leave. Nothing lasts forever. You are a denizen of the earth yourself. But your soul and mind are the only things that will always give you company for as long as you are alive and feeling. You have to be the prime cause of your joys and successes. You have to live for yourself. You just cannot surrender your soul to the multitude of people milling around you. It's the only way to survive the insanity of this world.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter